Monday, December 19, 2016

DIY Masculine Christmas Cards Featuring Authentique

 DIY  Christmas Cards Authentique with a Masculine Flair

This is the last set of projects I worked on for the Flying Unicorns.   This is Part 1 of 2.  You will find Part 2 right here.  

  The set was intended to be a bundle for sale at the Flying Unicorns.   While no longer for sale, I still decided to show my projects.  I worked too long on them to not share.  And I think they are lovely.  

 I do have some DIY tips and I do show the basics on how I created these cards, but not the step-by-step in it's entirety.    These are pretty easy cards and I think the tips are really all one needs to get the gist.  

 I am sad to see it be done and yet joyful for the experience and the magical carpet ride the Unicorns and owner, Alda Stevens , provided me over the last few years.  Certainly years of growth and stretching. 

Alda Stevens passed away in the beginning of December.  Her departure from this world leaves a void in the crafting world and in my heart and in many hearts.  
May Alda Stevens and her sparkly pink Unicorn rest peacefully forevermore.   

Part 1
Card 1 : Reindeer card
I love this card.  I adore the sweet deer chipboard piece.  This card is also very easy to create - surprisingly so.  Scroll down for the techniques and DIY instructions.   The sweet deer is from  7 Dots - Yuletide Chipboard.  

Step 1.  This is the base of my card. To start, I am using a pre-folded white card sized 5in x 6.5 in.  The Authentique paper pad is 6x6 so you may want to trim some of the excess card base to fit the 6in paper.  You can leave the excess  if you prefer.  You decide what looks best.  
I added some white cardstock between the layers to tie in with the white from the doily I am using.   

Step 2.  Glue a doily in place on the card.  I actually used two doilies on top of each other for a brighter white.  One doily is sort of see-through in my opinion.  

Step 3.  I added the embellishments:  some pine sprigs, some mini floral berries and then the flowers.  If you look closely at the deer paper, you'll see the same sort of green sprigs and red flowers.  
Step 4.  Add some dark brown ink to the edges of the chipboard for shading accents.  I chose Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Walnut Stain.  You are not looking for full stain coverage - just edge accents.  This will help make that darling deer pop on the card to become a focal point.  


Products used:
Authentique Tidings Collection  6x6
7 Dots - Yuletide Chipboard
Petaloo Darjeelings - Mini Dahlias Tea Stained Petites in Red 1465101R
Petaloo Mulberry Street - mini Delphiniums Red /yellow/Dk Blue/Green 1300-223
While Doilies
white cord
Tim Holtz Alterations Holly Greens Thinlits
Mini Red floral berries
Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Walnut
pre-folded  white Card 5inx6.5in


Authentique Tidings Masculine Greeting Card
This card may be the easiest card I ever made and one I may love the most.  It's really strong and earthy.  Scroll down for the techniques and DIY instructions.  

Step 1.  This is the base of my card. To start, I am using a pre-folded white card sized 5in x 6.5 in.  The Authentique paper pad is 6x6 so you may want to trim some of the excess card base to fit the 6in paper.  You can leave the excess  if you prefer.  You decide what looks best.  

I chose the patterned papers I liked and ripped the papers so that the white core or the paper is showing.  That's my version of a snowy mountain.

Step 2.  Grab the chipboard and ink the edges of three trees using Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Walnut Stain.  Just a little ink to the edges.  Glue to the card.  





Variations for adding embellishments:
Step 3.  If you are a person that desires dimensional embellishments, then try adding some Petaloo floral berries topped with a jute bow from the Petaloo package.  The little touch of green is very striking against the texture from the jute bow. 
Variation #2:
Step 4.  Not feeling the green from the berries? How about dark brown berries.   The dark rich brown brings out the inked tree tips.  


Products used:
Authentique Tidings Collection  6x6 
7 Dots - Yuletide Chipboard
Petaloo Textured Burlap Picks in Pistachio 1204214
Petaloo Brown Berry Spray 
pre-folded  white Card 5inx6.5in
Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Walnut

No comments:

Post a Comment