Sunday, April 15, 2012

Scraps Of Darkness Reveal Day, Sakurabana - April 2012


Welcome to Scraps of Darkness April Sakurabana.  And what a gorgeous kit this is.  Filled with such rich papers and spectacular embellies.  Sakurabana means cherry blossom in Japanese, so with that, this kit has that exotic Asian feel to it.  If the far east theme is not appealing to you, the wonderful variety in this kit provides such versatility that you are not limited to any theme. 

The papers are from Bo Bunny, Fabscraps and Glitz.  

Today is reveal day, so lets reveal, shall we? 

Good Day for Me
This is me, having a good day.  I took a photo before the buds started coming out.  The colors in the Bo Bunny papers were such a great pairing for my photo. 

The design is based on the April Kit sketch from Charlotte Jenkins, also known in the scrappy world as suepup.  Great sketch to play around with because the papers were such fun to layer.   I also used the stick pin from Mandy Harrell



This is a good image of the wonderful stick pin by Mandy Harrell.  



Garden Serenity

This is a photo I took in the fall 2011 for my cousins family.  The photo may be hard to see, but they are sitting next to a pond and their images are reflected in the water.  It felt sort of Asian water garden-y to me.  About as Asian as I can get from my little town in upstate NY.

This is a video I made documenting how this page was created.


Here is the Dusty Attic Fancy trim #6 DA0588.  I painted this and added micro beads.  The video shows more detail.




Spring Haiku 
This was created with CSI-Colors, Stories and Inspiration case file #14 in mind.   I am having the best time following CSI.  It adds such a fun twist to my work and really presents a challenge sometimes to make me think.   This case file was a perfect example of stretching my mind with poetry - one of my least favorite forms of expression.  I tend not to understand poetry unless it starts with, "roses are red, violets are blue..."  Poets operate with a whole different thought process than I do.  I tend to think it is more evolved and more sophisticated than how I write.  I write about a cat.  What does that tell you?  Not much sophistication going on - however Escape Kitty may disagree as she truly believes she defines sophistication and evolution.

Enough of Kitty -back to the poetry element of this challenge.  One of the elements of the CSI case file this week was to write a Haiku.  Well now, since this kit  has an Eastern flair to it and the kit is called Sakurabana, I already had the whole Japanese theme going so what the heck.  Haiku it is.

A Haiku is a Japanese poem with some distinct characteristics. It usually references nature and is characterized by 17 syllables in total.  Those syllables are configured into 3 lines of poetry which must be as follows - 5 syllables, 7 syllables, 5 syllables.

Here is mine:
Spring comes with warm sun
and promises renewal.
A fresh start for all.


This is a photo of the daffodils in my garden....MY garden.  Yes, it's the only thing I actually can grow. 

I used the Dusty Attic Baroque Frame Set -Circle DA0542 here and painted it with Adirondack paint in Sandal, then inked the edges with some olive colored chalk.  






Dreaming of Going on the Road
This is a photo I took of my husband in March 2012.  He is an accomplished musician playing now for over 45 years.  He is in a few local bands but dreams of hitting the big time and being on the road touring.  While my husband dreams of the road, I know his favorite place to be is at home where his heart is.
This was created for  Once Upon a Sketch, using the sketch of the talented and creative Nadia Cannizzo. 
The theme was "home".  

I made my flowers  from coffee filters.  



The Dusty Attic Hinge was covered in Shimmerz enamelz embossing powder - Molten Metal.   I love this stuff. 


I made my flowers from some coffee filters I was ready to toss in the trash.  Can you believe it?   What was I thinking about booting something to the curb so callously.  So I punched some flower shapes out with an old EK success flower punch in large and small.  Sprayed they with spray starch and hit with my heat gun.  The spray starch gives them a feel sot of crispy like rice paper. They look more delicate in real life. 






Thanks for checking out my images and artwork.
Please consider Scraps of Darkness and joining our scrappy family.

No comments:

Post a Comment